ADVANCE EQUITABLE ACCESS
As we increase the number of great schools, we must ensure all students have equitable access to them. Good Reason Houston is committed to making sure parents and students have access to the information they need to make informed decisions about educational opportunities.
Our work starts with our youngest students, focusing on pre-K enrollment so that every child is school-ready by kindergarten. Our work continues beyond high school as we increase access for students to college and careers of their choice by helping districts remove financial barriers for all students.
Our work to advance equitable access includes:
- Pre-K Enrollment Campaign
- FAFSA Completion Campaign
Participation in pre-K is a leading indicator for kindergarten readiness. In Houston, approximately 44,000 students are eligible for free pre-K but are not currently enrolled in any early childhood learning setting. We are working alongside partner districts on a campaign to support the growth of enrollment and outreach to eligible parents.
As part of this campaign, we:
- Aligned more than 25 Houston-area school districts and Head Start programs around a common enrollment period for pre-K for the spring of 2019
- Developed PreKHouston.org, a new website to support parents in navigating their options for pre-K
- Launched a targeted media campaign including social media ads, a TV commercial, billboards, and direct outreach
- Hosted an enrollment event to help families enroll their children
FAFSA COMPLETION CAMPAIGN
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) completion is one of the best predictors of whether a high school senior matriculates to college. In Harris County, only 49% of seniors completed the FAFSA in 2017-18, which lags behind Texas, where 56% of seniors completed it.
We launched a region-wide FAFSA completion campaign to provide support to parents, students, and counselors. As part of this campaign, we:
- Developed and launched FAFSAHouston.org, a website of resources and information for parents, students, and counselors
- Created a toolkit for counselors to use with their students
- Provide real-time completion support for families which includes pop-up events, online support, and additional resources