STAAR Results for the Houston Area
Subscribe to our blog and stay current with relevant education topics in Houston!
STAAR results for the Houston area
In 2021, STAAR results for the Houston Urban Core* were below statewide and Harris County averages for Grades 3-8 Reading and Math as well as for specific tracked indicators of 3rd Grade Reading, 4th Grade Math, 8th Grade Science, and Algebra 1.
We’ve completed an initial analysis of the data and synthesized the key takeaways here:
- The % of students who took the STAAR in 2021 fell by about 18%-points (percentage points; vs. 13 pp declines at the state level) within grades 3-8 Math and Reading, indicating perhaps true learning loss is being understated with less students assessed.
- Houston Urban Core STAAR 2021 proficiency at the Meets level dropped across all grades/subjects, with 3-8 Math STAAR scores seeing over twice the decline (-19 pp) vs. that seen on Grades 3-8 Reading (-8 pp; vs. a 14-15 pp decline on Math and -6 pp on Reading at the county and state level). Algebra 1 reflected especially high declines, dropping 23 pp (vs. 18pp at the county level and 21pp statewide), with several Houston districts reflecting 50% proficiency declines vs. 2019.
- Equity Gaps – Performance decreased across all demographic groups, with proficiency rates declining more significantly for students identified by TEA as Economically Disadvantaged, Hispanic, Black, and English Learners, thus further widening already sizable gaps with their peers.
- Overall, STAAR 3rd Grade Reading performance fell by 10 pp since 2019 to only 27% of students meeting standards in Houston Urban Core campuses. This makes Houston Urban Core’s percentage point drop in early reading performance higher than the State’s 6 pp decline and returns Houston Urban Core’s average 3rd grade reading performance to 2012 levels.
- STAAR 4th Grade Math performance fell by 17 pp since 2019 to only 24% of students meeting standards. Overall, Houston Urban Core’s percentage point drop in early math performance exceeds the state’s average (-12 pp).
Houston Urban Core Districts include:
Galena Park ISD
Spring Branch ISD
YES Prep Schools
All Other Houston Charters