Summer Activities Can Make Learning Fun!-2
Are you looking for summer activities for your kids that are interactive and educational? Whether you’re looking for some way to get outdoors during summer break or for fun activities for kids at home, look no further, we’ve got you covered with this list of learning activities to keep your kids stimulated during the break. Just because school is out for summer, doesn’t mean they can’t keep learning!
OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS — GET OUT & LEARN!
If you’re tired of being cooped up inside all week, we know some ways you can get your kids outside this summer. Take a trip to one of hundreds of Houston’s outdoor attractions. Here are some that offer learning components as well:
- Houston Botanical Gardens (download a scavenger hunt from their website and bring it with you on your next visit!)
- Nature Discovery Center (Follow a tree ID tour every first Saturday at 10 am or join a nature class on select Saturdays through the end of August)
- Houston Arboretum and Nature Center (aside from their summer programming, they are open daily from 7am – dusk)
- Levy Park (join a summer block party presented by Texas Children’s Hospital for your child to gain social skills and have fun while doing so!)
INDOOR ACTIVITIES — STAY INDOORS TO LEARN & EXPLORE
If you’re looking for an indoor weekend activity for your kids, then look no further. Houston is home to many esteemed museums and learning institutions. Consider taking your child to one of the numerous great options in and around the city. Aside from The Children’s Museum and the Museum of Natural Science, here are some great ones to explore:
- The Health Museum (located in Houston’s famous Medical Center!)
- Contemporary Arts Museum Houston (admission is free – various art exhibitions to visit and learn from)
- Houston Public Library (try out some of their programs – book clubs, STEM sessions, crafts and more!)
- Lone Star Flight Museum (special offers available July 1-31; $10 admission for everyone)
- Buffalo Soldier Museum (follow the exhibits that cover the history, contributions, and legacy of the Buffalo Soldiers)
ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS AT HOME
Life can be busy, and it’s hard to get out sometimes — so we have some fun activities for kids at home. Try these free coloring worksheets for your kids.
- Worksheets for Kids & Free Printables | Education.com
- Printable Activities for Parents and Teachers – Khan Academy (zendesk.com)
- Downloadable Toolkits to Explore, Analyze, and Learn About Nature – World WildLife Fund
LEARNING CAN BE FUN
Indoor or outdoor – whatever your preference – keep those young minds working during summer. We hope you were able to find some fun activities for your kids. Follow Good Reason Houston on Facebook and Twitter for more ideas! And if you want to stay posted on important updates from Good Reason Houston, join our email list!