Weekend Activities to Keep Your Student Learning All Year
Subscribe to our blog and stay current with relevant education topics in Houston!
Weekend Activities for Kids to Keep Your Student Learning All Year
Are you looking for some activities for the kids this weekend? The summer months are some of the hottest in Houston, and with the kids out of school, it can be hard to fill the days. Whether you’re looking for some way to get outdoors this weekend or for fun activities for kids at home, look no further, we’ve got you covered with this list of fun weekend activities to keep your kids stimulated during the break. Just because school is out for summer, doesn’t mean they can’t keep learning!
OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS — GET OUTDOORS & LEARN!
If you’re tired of being cooped up inside all week, we know some ways you can get your kids outside this weekend. Take a trip to one of hundreds of Houston’s outdoor attractions. Here are some that offer learning components as well:
- Houston Botanical Gardens (download a scavenger hunt from their website and bring it with you on your next visit!)
- Nature Discovery Center (Follow a tree ID tour every first Saturday at 10 am or join a nature class on select Saturdays through the end of August)
- San Jacinto Battleground Historic Site (visit on Cycling Saturdays when the park is open 2 hours earlier every second Saturday of the month for cyclists of all ages!)
- Houston Arboretum and Nature Center (aside from their summer programming, they are open daily from 7am – dusk)
WEEKEND ACTIVITIES TO STAY INSIDE & BEAT THE HEAT!
If you’re looking for an indoor weekend activity for your kids, then look no further. Houston is home to many esteemed museums and learning institutions. Consider taking your child to one of the numerous great options in and around the city. Aside from The Children’s Museum and the Museum of Natural Science, here are some great ones to explore:
- The Health Museum (located in Houston’s famous Medical Center!)
- Houston Public Library (try out some of their virtual weekend programs – everything from a virtual STEM escape room experience to open mic poetry readings!)
- Lone Star Flight Museum (this museum has been moved from Galveston to Ellington Airport and offers military and AAA discounted admission!)
- Buffalo Soldier Museum (learn more about the history of the Buffalo Soldiers and plan to visit on Saturday since they are closed on Sundays!)
- The Printing Museum (take a guided tour on Saturdays at 1 PM or register for an in-person LEGO printing workshop in August!)
ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS AT HOME
Life can be busy, and it’s hard to get out sometimes — so we have some fun activities for kids at home. Try these free coloring worksheets for your kids.
- Worksheets for Kids & Free Printables | Education.com
- Printable Activities for Parents and Teachers – Khan Academy (zendesk.com)
LEARNING CAN BE FUN
Indoor or outdoor – whatever your preference – keep those young minds working during summer. We hope you were able to find some fun weekend activities for your kids. Follow Good Reason Houston on Facebook and Twitter for more ideas! And if you want to stay posted on important updates from Good Reason Houston, join our email list!